- 2 frying chickens, quartered, bone-in
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium sweet onions, sliced
Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a large, shallow baking pan or roasting pan.
In a bowl, food storage bag, or pie plate, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
Toss chicken pieces with the seasoned flour until thoroughly coated.
Place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add the olive oil. Working in batches, add chicken pieces to the hot oil. Cook for about 5 minutes total, turning to brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
Arrange the browned chicken pieces in the prepared baking pan.
Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, just until softened and coated with oil.
Arrange the sweet onion slices around the chicken.
Bake the chicken for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.*