- 8 ounces smoked sausage, or andouille, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 pound lean pork chunks, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, or stock
- 1 cup water, or more low-sodium broth or stock
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (if using spicy sausage, add cayenne to taste)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (15- to 16-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
Gather the ingredients.
In a heavy 4-quart kettle or Dutch oven, brown sausage and pork in hot oil. Season with Cajun seasoning.
Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cover and cook over medium heat 20 to 30 minutes, or until pork is nearly done. Skim off excess fat.
Add water, chicken broth, butter, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Bring mixture to a boil.
Add rice and black-eyed peas, stirring to blend.
Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender. If using brown rice, allow 10 to 15 minutes cooking time.
Add parsley and green onion within the last 5 minutes.