To make Google Chrome the default browser on your iPhone, you’ll need to open its Settings page.
- f you’ve updated your iPhone to iOS 14 or newer, you can set a variety of internet browser apps as your default.
- Once you’ve made Chrome the default browser on your iPhone, you can move its icon to the Dock to replace the Safari icon.
The iPhone has been out for over a decade, and for most of that time, Apple has only allowed one browser to be the default: Safari, the one they built.
But starting with iOS 14, you can now change the default internet browser ( as well as your default email app ) by going into your Settings. This means that Google Chrome fans can finally set the app as their default, and use it for all their browsing.
Here’s how to set Google Chrome as the default internet browsing app on your iPhone, and how to fully replace Safari.
How to make Chrome the default browser on your iPhone
First of all, make sure that you’ve downloaded the Chrome app and opened it at least once.
1. Open your iPhone’s Settings app and scroll down until you find the long list of your apps.
2. In this list, tap “Chrome.” This will open the app’s specific settings.
Select “Chrome” from your app list.
3. Tap the tab that’s labeled “Default Browser App.” You’ll be shown all the browsers installed on your iPhone.
This tab will appear in the settings of every app that can be set as the default browser.
4. Select Chrome. A checkmark will appear next to it.
Safari will be checked off by default.
Google Chrome is now the default browser on your iPhone. Whenever an app tries to open the internet, it’ll open Chrome instead of Safari.
Once you’ve done this, you should add Chrome to your phone’s Dock. This will ensure you never lose it.
How to add Chrome to the Dock on your iPhone
If you already have four apps in the Dock, you need to begin by removing one of them to make room for Google Chrome.
1. Tap and hold an app icon until a pop-up appears. In this pop-up, select “Edit Home Screen.”
Select “Edit Home Screen.”
2. Drag the app out of the Dock and place it on the Home screen.
Make room in the Dock for Chrome.
3. Tap and drag the Chrome app icon into the Dock.
4. Tap “Done” in the upper-right corner of the screen.
Drag the Chrome icon to the Dock and then tap Done.