What does a pulled hamstring feel like?
A hamstring injury typically causes a sudden, sharp pain in the back of your thigh. You might also feel a “popping” or tearing sensation. Swelling and tenderness usually develop within a few hours.
How do you fix a pulled hamstring?
What’s the Treatment for a Hamstring Strain?
- Rest the leg.
- Ice your leg to reduce pain and swelling.
- Compress your leg.
- Elevate your leg on a pillow when you’re sitting or lying down.
- Take anti-inflammatory painkillers.
- Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor/physical therapist recommends them.
How long does it take to recover from a hamstring injury?
Recovery from a hamstring tear or strain
Mild to moderate (grade 1 or 2) tears or strains can heal within three to eight weeks with diligent home therapy. For a grade 3 hamstring tear or strain, recovery may be as long as three months.
How do I know if my hamstring is pulled or torn?
Torn hamstring symptoms
- sudden, sharp pain.
- a “popping” sensation at the time of injury.
- swelling within the first few hours.
- bruising within the first few days.
- partial or complete weakness in your leg.
- inability to place weight on your leg.